6 fictional names I can't pronounce and never will be able to

Friday, November 11, 2016

Happy Veteran's Day, all! I was thinking about what I could post today, and I eventually decided I wanted to tell you guys about the names of characters I couldn't pronounce if my life depended on it. This post is inspired by Cait Grace's (at Paper Fury) post like this! She is one of my most favoritest* book bloggers ever! Check her out!
If you know me closely, you probably know that I mangle words a lot. It could be a simple four letter word, or it could be "epitome." Why the heck is there an "eee" sound at the end? Why can we not just say it like it is spelled? 
If you are close to me and do not know that I am unable to correctly English, WELL, it's probably because I only use words I know that I can pronounce around you. #perfectionistthings.  Maybe you should reconsider your definition of being close to me**.

*If that's even a word
**I'm kidding. No one probably knows that I am unable to English. even my sister. I pretend that I am a confident pronouncer of words.


from The Wrath and the Dawn

This one was also in Cait's post, and when I read it my actual thoughts were, Same, girl, same. I mean. It just won't click in my mind. It's like, when I try to spell it my mind registers the "sh" and "ad" parts but the rest is just an undefined fjdgdfdkz sound that my mind just ignores. My brain literally skips the whole thing except the first and last two letters. I can say it (at least, I think I can) but I cannot spell this name for my life.


from the Harry Potter series

Ok, so this one isn't really a character's name per se, but I'm going to count it. This mispronunciation was from a few years ago when I was a little younger. 
You may be thinking, "Madeline, how could you mispronounce that. There's no way to mess that up!" Well, my friend. Somehow, I did. When I watched the first Harry Potter movie, I figured out that it was, in fact, not pronounced Gryffindor as in "defender." Sometimes I have trouble with the whole putting stress on syllables thing...
In my defense, it is a rather strange word, though.


from Ettiquette and Espionage

I haven't even heard this one spoken out loud, and I already know that I am pronouncing it wrong. Is the second o hard or soft?? On which syllable is the stress put? this whole name is just a ??? for me.
If you're a normal, functioning human bean who doesn't second guess every thought and also second guess that thought (what the heck am I even saying?), you'll probably be fine with this name. But that's not how I roll, apparently.


from The Heir/The Crown

Is this one pronounced like Aaron or is it just pronounced like it looks?? I don't know anything about anything!
Update: I just looked it up, and Kiera Cass said it was pronounced like "Aaron" or "Erin." 
Well, I've been pronouncing it wrong for this long, so there's no changing it now.


from Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom

Considering Inej is my favorite Six of Crows character, you would think that I could pronounce her name correctly. Nope.
I was reading the pronunciation guide at the end of Crooked Kingdom a couple weeks ago* and I noticed that Inej is pronounced In-ezh Guh-fah. Not only have I been pronouncing her first name incorrectly but also her last name. Bonus points for that?

*yep, I am that desperate for more of this duology. Does anyone else do this? probably just me.


from the Harry Potter series

 I think this is one we have all mispronounced at some point. And if you said it right from the beginning, you deserve some kind of reward. You are a pronunciation wizard*.
I think I managed to figure Hermione's name out during the fourth book when she is explaining how to say her name to Krum, but I definitely realized it after watching the movies. Fun fact that you probably already know: J.K. Rowling included the whole Krum pronunciation scene because she knew some people everyone was having trouble with her name.

*haha. puns.




Thanks for reading! There are probably a lot more names that I forgot to put in this list, but these are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. What fictional names do you mispronounce? Do you have as much trouble as I do? (the answer is probably no but I'll ask anyway) Comment below!

xoxo, madeline

4 comments:

  1. Hey Madeline!! YOUR BLOG IS SO CUTE. I can't believe I've never been here before! I love your layout and design and headers and brush fonts aaaaAAAAH IT'S ALL SO PRETTY. <3 And THIS POST. YES. Although I've never read any of these books (Crooked Kingdom is kind of on my TBR though!!) I can't staaaand it when I can't pronounce a character's name. Usually I just make up a fun nickname for them and call them by that instead. ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    lotsalove,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks abbiee!! i feel the same way about your blog! IT'S SO PRETTY.

      And SAME about the nickname thing. i always end up calling characters by a nickname!

      Delete
  2. Awww, I'm so glad you like my blog! THIS MAKES MY DAY HONESTLY.πŸ’• And we're definitely twinning on Shazi. (hehe, I can't even spell her name, I'M SUCH A CHEAT) and gahgh, it took me a while to get Hermione. And I just finished a book where the narrator's name was Kvothe. YUP. I think author's just like to torture us, right?!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for commenting! it made my day!
    And Hermione took me FOREVER to get! I really do think that authors are out to get us with those complicated names!

    ReplyDelete

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)